Sunday, November 2, 2008

Keepin' All 5 Boroughs in Stitches

Two years of my life culminated today in my completion of the NYC Marathon: from the day in December 2006 that I turned in my New York Road Runners application, through nine city races in 2007 to a roller coaster 2008 that made marathon training an uphill battle to this morning, when I and some 39,000 others crossed the glorious Verrazano-Narrows bridge on our 26.2 mile trek to the finish line in Central Park.

My optimistic goal had been 3 hours and 30 minutes, with 4 hours as my more realistic goal. I came in at 3 hours and 42 minutes, a time I could feel good about.

I'll write a more comlete summation tomorrow. For now, I'll just that it was at times euphoric, at other times brutal, and occasionally both euphoric and brutal. Very easily the most fun I've had while being in excruciating pain (more fun during the first half, and more excruciating during the final 10 miles).

No comments: